November 7, 1953, marked another memorable occasion for Alpha Gamma Sigma, with the initiation of the charter members of the Gamma Chapter in Lincoln, Nebraska. The first steps to creating this chapter were taken by the Beta Chapter when they contacted Assistant Dean Hixon of the College of Agriculture at the University of Nebraska.
Dean Hixon, in turn, contacted the Agricultural Men's Club and approximately half of the members decided to colonize with Alpha Gamma Sigma Fraternity. During the period of colonization, Donald R. Warner, an alumnus of the Beta Chapter, served as their advisor.
In 1956 the young Gamma Chapter purchased the old Farmhouse facility and this became their home until May of 1971. At this time they began building a new facility on the old site with funds from the alumni association. This new facility was beneficial to the chapter for expansion purposes.
1987 marked another significant year for the men of the Gamma Chapter and the Alpha Gamma Sigma Foundation was formed. This special foundation was created to ensure that the needs of the Gamma Chapter will continue to be met.
In the summer of 1998, a new addition was built on to our existing house. Thanks to the generous donations from our alumni, we now have a state of the art kitchen and computer room. Meanwhile, the internal quality of the Gamma Chapter remains the same as we continue to lead the campus in scholarship and involvement.
For 64 years, Gamma Chapter has been at the heart of Greek life at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. From our founding to the present, our proud history speaks for itself through high academic achievement and leadership within the university. With more than 1,000 initiates, the Gamma Chapter has influenced the lives of numerous men and cultivated lasting friendships in the process. Many of our best college memories can be traced back to our Alpha Gamma Sigma experience.
While many of our alumni have graduated and gone on to successful and distinguished careers in agriculture, animal science, business, banking, engineering, law, and countless other endeavors, the common bond of our brotherhood remains, along with our shared principles and values. Most of us can trace the roots of our success to our founders in the fall of 1953 who rented a house initially on 3256 Holdrege, then moved to 4013 Holdrege in January 1955. Shortly after the old FarmHouse property became available at 4001 Holdrege Street in Lincoln, the chapter moved to this current location.
Through Alpha Gamma Sigma we learned the importance of coming together as scholars, living as brothers, and becoming leaders of tomorrow. We learned the value of obedience, perpetuation of morality, self-reliance, sportsmanship, sacrifice, scholarship, sociability, and temperance. These principles have been integral to our personal success and helped make us the men we are today.
Our chapter house at 4001 Holdrege Street is clearly the focus of undergraduate life for Alpha Gamma Sigma. It has been a home away from home for hundreds of young men and a classroom where our brothers have learned from our founders the principles of striving to be excellent scholars, excellent citizens, and a group with outstanding morals.